So for the past couple weeks, I've been having dreadful sleep problems. Part of this is due to the kid's unpredictable sleep schedule- an aside, if you happen to run into your exhausted mother-of-an-infant friend, the preferred question is not, "So is he sleeping through the night yet?" Because it's so much more complex than any yes or no answer could provide, and you honestly don't want me to get into the numerous variables and planet/star alignments that must occur in order for Ari to reach that golden stretch of sleep between the hours of 11 pm and 6 am.
In addition to infant induced insomnia (I'm totally proud of my alliteration there), I also struggle with sleep when I lack a regular daily schedule. Since I'm a teacher, the summer months are pretty much anything goes. So since Ari's been going to daycare now and I don't start school for another week, I have the freedom to nap after I drop him off. Which is way too luxurious! There are few things I enjoy more in this world than a good midday nap. Something about sprawling out in bed when the rest of the world is at work is perfectly delightful. But a three hour midday nap completely ruins my sleep cycle. I know, you have such pity for me.
Which brings me to my initial point (or as much of a point as I can conjure during this 12:09 AM rambling). I have begun playing Scramble on Facebook in earnest. I've gotten tired of beating my spouse regularly (hee, take that out of context), and I am currently being trounced by the other folks I play, namely my sister-in-law. So how do you Scramble geniuses get such high scores? What's your secret? At best, I can manage 70, 80 points a round, if I really flex. I know, it's just a stupid game, but really, I'm curious. I have no idea where you find the bizarre words that end up at the end of the game. So do tell!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
re: Scramble.
It's all experience, and looking at the word list after the round is over. Sort of like getting a pilot's license or aesthetician degree, the key is logging in many, many hours of Scramble.
Here are my tips to become better at scramble:
when a round starts, immediately skim the board looking for "build-on" suffixes and prefixes. So here are a few that I usually look for:
ER
IER
S
ES
TION
So if you see the word "HORN", and you already know the IER is there, try "HORNIER" etc.
Building on words is the easiest way to double your points. If there is an S, you can nearly double your score just by entering in "WORDS" "LOVES" "BREADS" in addition to "WORD" "LOVE" and "BREAD".
Post a Comment